The Deane Memorial Library is named for John Deane, Principal of The NZ Bible Training Institute (now Laidlaw College) from 1946-1959. When BTI moved to a newly-built campus in Henderson in 1961, a new library was paid for by gifts from John Deane’s many friends and dedicated to his memory. The original library was located where the student lounge was on the Lincoln Road, Henderson campus but a new library was built above the dining room in 1975 to cope with the growth of the collection. In 2006, a new building was completed at the Lincoln Road campus which incorporated a 3-storey purpose-built library.
The library now occupies the majority of the first floor on our new campus at 3 Smythe Road, Henderson, in Auckland, as well as stack collection and Archive on the ground floor and various other collections off-site. The library serves both on-campus and distance students as well as staff, alumni members, subscription members, researchers and various stakeholders.
The Latimer Library can trace its roots back to the collection of Reverend Canon William Alfred Orange. Canon Orange was Vicar of All Saints, Sumner, and could be described as the father of the Anglican Evangelical movement in Christchurch. William Orange was one of the founders of the Latimer Foundation, and bequeathed his collection of 14,000 books to establish the Latimer Library in 1962.
The Latimer Library now resides at the Otautahi Christchurch campus in Papanui. It serves on-campus students, staff, alumni, subscribers & researchers based in Christchurch